Your Browser Doesn't support the Javascript Art Department FAQ’s
Skip navigation

East Los Angeles College

Home > Academics > Departments & Disciplines > Art > Art Department FAQ’s
Art Department FAQ’s

Who can sign up for art classes at ELAC?

Our introductory courses are open to all ELAC students. Some upper level courses require introductory pre-requisites. All pre-requisites are listed in the course catalog for each course description.

If you are interested in taking art classes at ELAC you need to be enrolled as a student first.

Who can enroll at ELAC?

Anyone 18yrs or older qualifies for admission to East Los Angeles College. People under 18 qualify if they have graduated from high school or have passed the California High School Proficiency test. High school students may concurrently enroll at ELAC with the consent of their parents and high school and get an early start on their college education and pay no tuition.

If you are an international student on an F-1 visa or want to apply as an F-1 visa student, please contact the International Student Office. There is a different application process for international students than for U.S. students.

How do I enroll?

Applications and information to register for day and evening classes are available from the Admissions Office by calling (323) 265-8966 or on the Admissions Homepage.

How much does it cost to take a class? / Can I get financial aid?

Tuition is $46 per unit for California residents. Please refer to the Financial Aid Homepage for more information on costs and how to apply for financial aid.

What classes does the Art Department offer?

We offer classes in a wide range of disciplines in Studio Arts, Animation and Graphic Arts, and Art History. Refer to each tab on the left for more information and look at the course catalog for a complete overview of our course offerings.

Can I get an associates degree or skills certificate in an art related subject?

Yes! We offer several certificate programs designed to provide students with entry-level skills for careers in the art industry. We also offer AA - T degrees that prepare graduates to transfer to university programs in drawing, painting, ceramics, art history, graphic arts, animation, and multimedia. AA - T program graduates develop individualized portfolios that are an important component when applying to a four-year public or private university.

I have more Art Department related questions!

Contact Marisa Marofske, the Art Department Instructional Assistant, at (323) 265-8842 or email her at with additional questions.