The overarching scholarship goal is to increase the number of students who transfer and complete a bachelor degree in a STEM discipline by offering, on a competitive basis, monetary support to financially needy students who have shown academic aptitude to succeed in STEM. Women, underrepresented groups, and first-generation college students are especially encouraged to apply. Awards are up to $4,000 per year based on unmet financial need. The scholarship may be renewed each year until transferring.
- Student must meet the criterion of financial aid need as defined by the United States department of Education rules for need-based federal financial aid, Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Student must be a United States citizen, national, or alien admitted as a refugee at the time of application, or alien admitted for permanent residence
- Student must have declared a STEM major
- Student must be enrolled as a full-time STEM student in a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester
- For Level 1 applicants: completion or assessment into Intermediate Algebra (Math 125) and minimum high school GPA of 3.00. For Level 2 and 3 applicants: completion of assessment into Pre-calculus (Math 260) or above and minimum transfer GPA of 2.8 with a 3.0 in STEM coursework at time of application.
- Copy of Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Award Letter
- A 500-words essay explaining your interest in pursuing a STEM career, the obstacles you may face while at ELAC, and future goals. The essay must be typed, double-spaced, Times New Roman font, and 12-point size.
- For Level 1 applicants – high school transcripts showing a minimum GPA of 3.0. For Level 2 and 3 applicants – Unofficial college transcripts showing minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8 and STEM GPA of 3.0 in transferable courses.
- Copy of student’s educational plan signed by STEM Counselor
- For Level 1 applicants: Two recommendation letters from a STEM high school teacher. For Level 2 and 3 applicants: Two recommendation letters from a STEM faculty member.
- Complete MESA application for those who qualify, if not ELAC MESA member already
Please feel free to contact us for additional information. To apply for S-STAR Scholarship, please fill out our application!