Prerequisite: A prerequisite is a measure of readiness for a course or program that a student is required to meet as a condition of enrolling in a course or program. A prerequisite may be a course, activity, audition, test or similar measure of readiness.
Corequisite: A corequisite is a requirement that must be satisfied at the time a particular course is taken; usually a corequisite is concurrent enrollment with another course, but may, in certain situations, be completed at an earlier time.
Advisory: An advisory is a measure of readiness for a course or program that is recommended for students. It may be a course, activity, audition, test, or similar measure of readiness.
Prerequisite Clearance Process
All prerequisites and corequisites are electronically enforced. All students need to demonstrate they meet the prerequisite or corequisite requirement in order to register for the course. It is the student's responsibility to clear any course prerequisites/corequisites prior to their priority registration date and time. Clearing such prerequisites/corequisites at a later period may cause delays in course enrollment.
- If a course prerequisite or corequisite was met through participation in the assessment placement process or satisfactory completion of a course at East Los Angeles College, prerequisite clearance for a course is automatic.
- If a course prerequisite or corequisite was met at another institution accredited by the Western Association of Universities and Colleges or related accrediting agency, a "Course Prerequisite Completion Petition" form must be submitted to Admissions Office (E1-105) or South Gate Admissions, with appropriate documentation, at least 10 days prior to the start of the semester/session. Petition deadlines are posted in the current semester's Academic Calendar.
- If you wish to review your transcript with a counselor for advisement in course selection, please make an appointment at the Main Campus Counseling Department (E1-127) or South Gate Counseling Department.
Course Prerequisite Completion Petition (supporting documentation)
Successful completion of the prerequisite course must be from the institutions accredited by recognized regional accrediting organizations. Unofficial transcripts can be used for prerequisite petitions, but will not be used for academic or graduation purposes. Grades lower than "C" will not be considered.
- Assessment Course Placement Results
Appropriate course placement by a California State approved and validated assessment process. Attach official advisement placement documents.
NOTE: Courses approved by this petition do not determine
course equivalency for graduation or transfer petitions.
Prerequisite Challenge Process
- Students who wish to challenge prerequisites or corequisites must complete and submit a "Prequisite/Corequisite Challenge Petition" with supporting documentation to the appropriate Department Chair at least 10 days prior to the start of the semester/session.
- Please note that students wishing to challenge English and/or math prerequisites must participate first in the Assessment Placement Process. Assessment placement results are part of supporting documentation.
In keeping with requirements and provisions of Section 55201 (e) of Title 5 and Section I.B.1-3 of the Los Angeles Community College District Model Policy, East Los Angeles College has established a procedure by which any student who does not meet a prerequisite, corequisite, or who is permitted to enroll due to campus limitation on enrollment, but who provides satisfactory evidence, may seek entry into the class according to the college's challenge process.
For more information, please refer to the General Catalog.