Library books or other items, such as DVDs, may be placed on hold through the library catalog. There is no fee to place a hold.
A patron may place a hold on an item that is currently checked out to another user or one that is available from the STACKS.
(Note: The South Gate Educational Center Library does not allow placing a hold on an item that is available from the STACKS).
A maximum of 10 items can be placed on hold.
If you placed a book on hold on a checked out item, you will be notified by phone once the book is returned.
If you placed a book on hold on an item that is available, you will be responsible for checking the status of the hold via the library book catalog under "My Account." If the item is available, it will show "Available Pickup at: ELAC." If the item is still pending, it will show a number, e.g., "Your position in the holds queue: 1." (the number is the priority number of the hold).
Holds are filled in the order they are placed.
You can cancel your request at any time via the library catalog under "My Account."
Held items are to be picked up at the circulation desk.
Once your hold becomes available for pick up, that item will be held for 7 days. Please make every effort to pick up the item within 7 days. The item will not be available after the expiration date.
If you need help or have a question, call the circulation desk at 323-265-8758 (Main campus), or 323-357-6219 (South Gate).
To place a book on hold via the library book catalog:
- Go to our library book catalog and look up a book.
- Once you have found a book in the catalog, click on details to see the full record.
- Click on the "Place a Hold" link located on the left side of the record to place a hold on the book.
- If an item is not holdable, the "Place a Hold" link will not show.
- You will be asked to enter your ID number and PIN. Your ID is your student ID number and your PIN is the month and day of your birth date (MMDD, i.e., January 12= 0112).
- If you are a faculty or staff with an ELAC library card, enter the barcode number as shown on the card as the user ID, and enter the PIN you were assigned when you were issued the card.
- If you are having trouble with your PIN or otherwise have problems with your login, please call the circulation desk at 323-265-8758 (Main campus), or 323-357-6219 (South Gate).
- The default expiration period for holds is set to 60 days. You may specify or change the date you no longer need it.
<< BACK >>