GANAS - Goals And Needs to Accelerate STEM
Armando Rivera, Project Director
Funded by the US Department of Education (HSI)
Funding amount of ~ $6M
Funding period 2011 – 2016
Coop Project with USC
- Goal 1 – Increase the success rates of ELAC students enrolled in Math 125 (transfer Math)
- Goal 2 – Decrease average time to complete STEM degrees or transfer requirements.
- Goal 3 – Increase the number of students awarded STEM degrees of certificates.
- Goal 4 – Increase the number of STEM transfers to four year institutions.
- Goal 5 – Develop new STEM transfer programs and develop articulation agreements with private universities and colleges.
GANAS, "Goals and Needs to Accelerate STEM", is the name of our US Department of Education Hispanic Serving Institutions STEM Grant, where ELAC is implementing a broad campus-wide strategy to attract more of our students into STEM disciplines and careers, and to assist them to be successful in achieving completion (with a degree or transfers). The program includes (a) a Math Academy supporting students through the math pipeline in a timely manner, (b) Media-Assisted Instruction, adding active cooperative learning and web-enhanced class resources, (c) adding Mentors, a dedicated Counselor, Faculty Advising, and Supplemental instruction Coaches strengthening the students resolve and success, and (d) Increased Articulation/Transfer Development to 4 year colleges, with USC as a Coop partner in the grant.
For PowerPoint about GANAS and ASSIST click here.