This page connects you with information resources on budgeting by the college, district, and state.
East Los Angeles College
Through its Budget Committee, ELAC practices continuous quality improvement with its budget development process. At least once a year, ELAC reviews and updates its process to ensure financial planning is guided and integrated with the college mission and strategic planning, all constituencies have appropriate participation in financial planning processes, and that decisions and processes designed for effective financial management are transparent to the entire campus community. Revisions to the budget development process are matters of policy incorporated to the ELAC Governance Policy Handbook following vetting by the ELAC Shared Governance Council and approval by the President.
The budget development process can be found in the Implementation and Action section of the ELAC Governance Policy Handbook.
You can gain insight into how to fund a project and the most recent update to the budget development process through the following links:
- How to get funding for project at East Los Angeles College as of 8-4-2015
- Revised Budget Development Process approved by ESGC October 24, 2016
Los Angeles Community College District
The District Budget Committee regularly receives communications about the budget that have particular relevance to ELAC and the other colleges in the district. Here are examples of a more detailed look at the last two final budgets:
- 2016-17 Final Budget Allocation memo
- 2015-2016 Final Budget Allocation memo
- 2014-2015 Final Budget Allocation memo
- 2013-2014 Final Budget Allocation memo
In addition to reviewing the Budget memos, I encourage you to learn more about this committee by visiting the District Budget Committee website.
I also encourage you to visit the website for the LACCD Chief Financial Officer/Treasurer for reports on budget, expenditures, and audits. Here are links to recent budget information.
- LACCD Final Budget 2016-2017
- LACCD Tentative Budget 2016-2017
- LACCD Final Budget 2015-2016
- LACCD Tentative Budget 2015-2016
- LACCD Final Budget 2014-2015
- LACCD Tentative Budget 2014-2015
- LACCD Final Budget 2013-2014
The LACCD Board of Trustee’s website is yet another valuable source for budget-related information. In particular, the Standing Committee Agendas webpage has links to meeting documents for the Board’s Budget and Finance Committee that provide information from which you can further analyze district budgeting. For example, go to the committee’s November 30, 2016 supporting documents and check out the last 18 pages for bar graphs on expenditure date and costs per FTES by district and by college.
California Community Colleges
The following resources will be useful for anybody trying learn about budgeting in the California Community Colleges:
Academic Senate for California Community Colleges of two helpful publications from a faculty perspective:
- Budget Considerations: A Primer for Senate Leaders, Fall 2009
- The Faculty Role in Planning and Budgeting, Fall 2001
Below are links on information on what the State of California has in store for community colleges and the state of community college funding in our recent past. The links are organized by the stages of the state budget process: proposed budget in June, the May Revise, the enacted budget in June.
Proposed Budget 2017-18 Summary & Analysis
- CA Governor’s Proposed Budget for 2017-2018, Summary, Higher Education
- CA Proposed Budget 2017-18, BOG California Community Colleges Detail
- CCCCO. Budget 2017-18, January Budget Summary from Vice Chancellor
- CCLC. Budget & Policy Center, January 2017
- LAO. The 2017-18 Budget: Overview of Governor’s Budget
Prep for Proposed Budget 2017-18
Enacted Budget 2016-17 Summary and Analysis
- CA Enacted Budget 2016-17 Higher Education Summary
- CA Enacted Budget 2016-17 BOG California Community Colleges Detail
- LAO. The 2016-17 Budget: California Spending Plan
- LAO. Overview of California Community Colleges Conference Issues, All Plans Have Significant New Community College Spending, June 2016
May Revise 2016-17 Summary
- CA Revised Budget 2016-17 Higher Education Summary, May 2016
- LAO. Overview of May Revision Proposals for Higher Education, May 2016
Proposed Budget 2016-17 Summary and Analysis
- CA Governor’s Proposed Budget for 2016-2017, Summary, Higher Education
- LAO, The 2016-17 Budget: Overview of the Governor’s Budget
- LAO, EdBudget Tables, January 2016
- LAO. The 2016-17 Budget: Higher Education Analysis, February 2016
Note: The documents above are in PDF format and will require the PDF plug-in, click here to get a free download.