We are pleased to announce the 6th Annual Etudes Summit!
The Summit is designed to bring the Etudes community together, many of whom have never met in person -- faculty, distance education directors, trainers, instructional designers, administrators, support staff, and practitioners from IT and other fields. We invite everyone interested in teaching, learning, and collaboration with Etudes or Sakai to join us, meet us, and experience our vibrant community. Etudes members and non-members alike will appreciate and benefit from the interaction and exchanges.
Please contact Ms. Pauletta Daw
Distance Education Workshops and Events
Everyone is welcomed to attend Distance Education cafÃ© mini-series workshops and Events. You do not have to be ETUDES certified to participate in the Distance Education workshops. Please fill out the attached form completely and select the events and workshops you would like to attend. Select as many as you like, you will receive a confirmation notice, a follow up email with all the information on the workshop, and what you will need to bring to bring the workshop. You can earn flex credit!
To be announced
ELAC Instructor Manual
(click on title above to view)
Interested in other useful technologies for your classes?
ELAC DISTANCE EDUCATION POLICIES
Course Management System:
All distance education and/or hybrid courses offered at East Los Angeles College must use the Etudes course management system.
Policy on Scheduling Online Classes:
The following policies govern the scheduling of classes which have hours listed as being completed online. This includes classes which are scheduled to be taught with 100% of the hours online or any portion of the hours online.
- No class can be scheduled as being online until the class has been approved by the college curriculum committee as an online course.
- No class with online hours can be scheduled with STAFF as the instructor.
- No class with online hours can be scheduled with an instructor who has not been approved to teach online at ELAC.
- Classes that do not appear in the printed schedule of classes are required to be advertised for 30 days prior to the start of the class.
- All classes which are scheduled for online hours need to be reported to the director of the online program 30 days prior to their start date so as to be properly included in the web schedules, to have the class rosters uploaded, to have the ETUDES NG shells created, and to be able to support the student with the correct information.
- Significant changes to classes with online hours need to be reported to the Distance Education/Learning program of the online program, the instructor, and all students. Students need to be contacted by the instructor or the department to inform them of the changes made. The changes need to be reported in timely manner to all parties involved. Whenever possible, changes need to be made and report to students at least 30 days prior to the start of the term.
The following guidelines govern qualifications for teaching online:
- All online instructors must be certified in the course management system Etudes, which is the only distance education course management system supported by the college.
ELAC Distance Education Instructor Assignment Policy
East Los Angeles College policy states that online classes shall not be assigned to new instructors who have not, at the time the assignment* is made, provided proof that they have passed ETUDES training.
Elac_support is an email-based help service for students and faculty that provides assistance with the use of Etudes.
In order to best serve students and faculty, the elac_support shall automatically be granted instructor status to all shells unless the instructor chooses to disable elac_support. The purpose of this access is to be able to view specific site info thus making elac_support far better able to provide relevant information to students or faculty who have questions about tool usage in their courses.
Training Reimbursement Forms
* To obtain a free copy of Acrobat Reader click here