Your Browser Doesn't support the Javascript Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Skip navigation

East Los Angeles College

Home > Prospective Students > Counseling > Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

It is highly advised that you meet with a counselor to ensure that you are receiving the most appropriate information for achieving your educational goals.

Counseling Appointments:

Am I assigned to a counselor?
No, you are not assigned to a specific counselor. You may schedule an appointment with any counselor. Visit the "Meet the Counselors" section for more information related to counselors and their areas of expertise.

Am I required to meet with a counselor?
Yes, you must meet with a counselor and complete an Abbreviated Student Educational Plan to complete the counseling portion of the A+O+C process.

When is a good time to meet with a counselor?
You must meet with a counselor upon completion of 15 degree applicable units to declare a major and develop a Comprehensive Student Educational Plan.

Student Educational Plan:

What is a Student Educational Plan (SEP)?
A Student Educational Plan (SEP) is created by you and a counselor and is based on your academic goals. It outlines suggested classes based on major, educational objective, and sequence of classes.

What is a unit and how many should I take per semester?
A unit is a value that indicates the amount of college credit earned for a class. One semester unit is equivalent to 16 hours of class. During Fall and Spring semesters 12 units or more is considered full-time.

image of recomendation hours

What classes should I take for my major?
For Associate Degrees, please check the ELAC General Catalog for specific classes required for your major.

For transfer to a UC or CSU campus, please refer to for a listing of possible major preparation classes. The video below will show you how to use

If interested in transfer to a private/independent or out of state institution visit the Transfer Center.

It is highly advised that you meet with a counselor to ensure that you are receiving the most appropriate information for achieving your educational goals.

What is the difference between major requirements and general education?
General Education: Classes required in a variety of disciplines such as English Composition, Math, Arts, Social Science, and Science that must be completed in order to fulfill graduation requirements.

Major requirements: Specific classes required in a field of study that must be completed in order to demonstrate major preparedness and fulfill graduation requirements.

How do I get help choosing a major?
Visit Career & Job Services to access resources such as career assessments which are offered to help you decide on a major that best fits you. Other resources offered to assist students in exploring majors and careers include workshops, one-on-one appointments, access to major information databases, and classes such as Counseling 4 or 20.


How do I calculate my grade point average (GPA)?
You may calculate your GPA using the steps outlined here. You may also use a GPA Calculator.

How do I check my grades?
You may check your grades using the LACCD Student Information System. The video below will show you how to check your grades:

What is progress probation?
Progress probation is when a student is enrolled in 12 semester units or more and receives a "W", "I", or "NP" for more than 50% of the classes attempted.

What is academic probation?
Academic probation is when a student who has attempted at least 12 semester units earns less than a 2.0 GPA for total cumulative units attempted at ELAC.

How will a "D", "F", "W", or "NP" affect my academic record?
Grades of "D" or "F" will negatively affect your GPA. Receiving a "W" or "NP" will not be calculated into your GPA. However, a "W" or "NP" does place you at risk of progress probation and/or financial aid disqualification.

Can I repeat a course I received a "D" or "F" grade in?
You may only repeat a course in which you have received a "D" or "F" grade up to two additional times—a total of three attempts. An earned grade of "C" or higher may not be repeated.

What is Academic Renewal?
Academic Renewal allows you to remove up to 18 units worth of LACCD coursework in which grades of "D" of "F" were received from calculation in the GPA. See the Academic Renewal Petition for more information.


How do I apply to the college?
You may apply to the college by submitting an application online.

When is the first day I can begin registering for classes?
Admissions will assign you a specific day and time for registration known as your registration appointment. You may register for classes any time after the appointment date. The video below will show you how to check your registration appointment using the LACCD Student Information System:

How do I add or drop classes?
You may add or drop classes using the LACCD Student Information System.

The video below will show you how to add classes:

The video below will show you how to drop classes:

Is there a deadline to add or drop classes?
Yes, deadlines to add or drop classes are published in the Academic Calendar and the Schedule of Classes.

When should I pay for my classes?
We recommend paying for classes as soon as possible before the semester begins. You may pay at the fiscal office or online using the LACCD Student Information System. Failure to pay will result in placement of a “hold” on your record.

What do pre-requisite, co-requisite, and advisory mean?

  • Pre-requisite: a measure of readiness for a class or program that a student is required to meet as a condition of enrolling in a course or a program.
  • Co-requisite: a requirement that must be satisfied at the time a particular class is taken; usually a co-requisite is concurrent enrollment in another class but may in certain situations be completed at an earlier time.
  • Advisory: a measure of readiness for a class or program that is recommended for students. Not a requirement.

Certificates and Degrees:

What Degrees are offered at ELAC?
The College offers Associate in Arts (AA), Associate in Science (AS), Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T), and Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) degrees.

What is the difference between an AA/AS and an AA-T/AS-T degree?
Whether the degree is an AA/AS or AA-T/AS-T is predetermined by the major. To find out if your intended degree is an AA/AS or AA-T/AS-T, please refer to the College Catalog and/or Transfer Center.

Do I have to get an AA/AS or AA-T/AS-T degree to transfer?
No, universities do not require an AA/AS or AA-T/AS-T degree to transfer. However, students completing an AA-T or AS-T degree receive priority admission to the CSU system. Students should check with a counselor for more details.

Which General Educational (GE) pattern should I follow?
A: General Education requirements vary by educational goals. Please see break down below for further details:


  • For students pursuing an Associate of Arts (AA) and/or Associate of Science (AS) degrees: LACCD GE Pattern


  • For students applying to the California State University (CSU) system: CSUGE Pattern
  • For students applying to both the University of California (UC) and Cal State University (CSU) systems: IGETC Pattern


  • For Associate Degrees for Transfer (ADTs also known as AA-T/AS-T): CSUGE Pattern or IGETC Pattern can be utilized.
  • Meet with a counselor to discuss which pattern best fits your educational plan.
    (Please note: For Music ADT, only IGETC Pattern is applicable)

For a comprehensive list of ADTs currently offered at ELAC, please CLICK HERE.

When and how do I apply for my AA/AS or AA-T/AS-T Degree?
Apply during the semester in which you are completing your final AA/AS or AA-T/AS-T requirements. Schedule an appointment with a counselor to complete a graduation petition. Please refer to “Graduation Petition” filing dates in the current Academic Calendar.

How do I apply for a Skill Certificate or a Certificate of Achievement?
Once the requirements have been completed, fill out and submit the Skill Certificate or Certificate of Achievement form to the Office of Admissions & Records. The video below will show you how to complete these forms: