Frequently Asked Questions

To enroll, students must be a high school graduate or recipient of a Certificate of Proficiency from the State Board of Education (students currently enrolled in grades K-12 need to contact the admissions office for further information). New students need to complete and return the Application for Admissions, and present a photo ID and immigration/visa documentation (non US citizens). Students will be given an appointment to take the Assessment Test, and ultimately given a time/date to register for classes.
Transfer is the process of completing the required general education and lower division major coursework at ELAC in order to apply for a four year college or university as a junior.
Schedule an appointment with a counselor to develop an educational plan based on your major and the college/university of your choice. Completion of general education and major preparation is highly recommended.
Typically you will apply one year ahead of the semester/quarter that you intended to transfer. Check at the ELAC Transfer Center for specific dates.
We encourage you to visit campuses and take tours offered by the?Transfer Center in order to make a choice that suits you.
Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum is general education coursework that meets requirements for the University of California "UC" or Cal State University "CSU" systems. Completion of IGETC is not recommended for certain science or engineering majors. For more information schedule an appointment to meet with a counselor. 
IGETC (pdf)
California State University General Education Breadth Pattern is general education coursework that meets requirements for the California State University "CSU" system. You have the option of using the CSU GE Breadth Pattern if you are sure that you will be attending one of the CSU campuses. Completion of CSU GE breadth pattern is not recommended for certain science or engineering majors. For more information schedule an appointment to meet with a counselor. 
CSU GE (pdf)
Visit the Transfer Center to schedule an appointment. 
Transfer Admission Guarantee gives ELAC students who meet basic transfer requirements a written guarantee of admission to selected colleges and universities. Students who complete the agreed upon sequence of classes in general education and a selected major with a stated minimum GPA can apply to the four-year institution within a prescribed time-frame and be "Guaranteed Admission." See a counselor to sign a TAG.
When you request your final transcript to be sent to the university that you plan to attend you should also request CSU or IGETC Certification at window #1. Certification guarantees that no additional lower division general education coursework will be required after transfer.
For the UC and CSU systems you need 60 units minimum. Units required for private colleges may vary.
Follow instructions below, include only transferable coursework and if you have any further questions, see a counselor.
California colleges and universities do not require an AA to transfer
Numerous courses transfer to ELAC. If you want to know if specific courses transfer to a university or college you need to meet with an ELAC Counselor.
Yes, you are required to report all previous institutions that you have attended.
You will have provided false information, and could potentially have your admission or degree revoked.
In most cases, W's are not a focus of admission decisions unless there is an excessive number of W's over a longer course of time.
California has two public university systems. The UC system emphasizes a theory based approach to learning, and offers Doctorate programs in most disciplines, along with graduate opportunities. The CSU offers traditional can career specific majors, with graduate opportunities at the Master's level.
The UC and CSU systems do not require high school grades and test scores when a student transfer as a junior (CSU/IGETC + lower division major requirements). Most private schools will accept transfer students using high school grades and test scores if they wish to transfer before completing 30 semester units.