Student and faculty in front of a castle

The Center for Global Education and Engagement

   Welcome to the

    Center for Global 

   Education and Engagement



     We have summer programs in Ireland, France, Italy, Japan, Indonesia and a winter program in Mexico. For more information click on "Study Abroad Programs" on the navigation bar on the left-hand side of this page. The Spain program will resume in the summer of 2025. 


REQUIREMENTS for any study abroad program offered at ELAC
  •      You must be 18 years of age to participate in our programs.
  •      You must enroll in the ELAC course offered abroad.
  •      You must have a passport that will not expire by the time you return to the United States. It may take months to apply for one so if you do not have one and you are serious about joining one of our programs submit your paperwork to the State Department as soon as possible. (Many post offices have embedded passport agencies).
  •      You must attend the information session that corresponds to the program you are interested in participating. 


The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs offers students who are U.S. citizens and receive a federal Pell grant an opportunity to apply for the Gilman International Scholarship, which could pay up to the entire cost of the study abroad program.

CGEE offers information sessions in early fall and early spring on the Gilman Scholarship. Please keep coming back to this page for concrete dates and times for our information sessions.

To apply go to:

Eligibility to apply for the Gilman Scholarship:

  • A citizen or national of the United States
  • You must be an undergraduate at either a 4 year university or community college.
  • You must be receiving a federal Pell grant when applying and during the period you study abroad.
  • You must have been accepted into the study abroad program of your choosing before you apply for the scholarship.

IMPORTANT: If you are a U.S. veteran you may apply for the Gilman McCain Scholarship: If you study a critical need language you may apply for supplemental support: ( For STEM majors you may also apply for supplemental support: 


The California College for International Education, a non-profit consortia of community colleges advocating for global education offers several minor scholarships (up to $500). Please visit their website at:

Contact Information


Dept. Location: E3-181


Dr. Norma Vega
Phone: (323) 415-5020

Dept. Location: E3-181

Dr. Lynn Vogel-Zuiderweg
Phone:  (323) 415-5020