Services for Students with Diversabilities
East Los Angeles College provides support services for students with mobility limitations, learning disabilities, hearing or visual impairments, and other disabilities. The Diversabilities Support Program and Services provides specialized services that are available to help students plan an East Los Angeles College experience to meet their individual needs. They assist students in making personal, academic, and vocational choices, and show how best to utilize campus facilities. Prior to receiving this assistance, documentation verifying a student’s disability from a qualified professional source must be submitted to DSPS whose disability specialists will determine the nature of accommodations in instruction and testing that will be required by the student. In compliance with LACCD and East Los Angeles College policy, students with disabilities may be found eligible for one or more of the following services, depending upon the established needs of the students and available funding:
- Diagnostic Assessment to determine functional, educational, or employment levels or to verify specific disabilities.
- On-campus mobility assistance to and from college courses and educational activities.
- Disability-related counseling and advising, including specialized academic, vocational, personal and peer counseling.
- Interpreter services including manual and oral interpreting for hearing impaired students.
- Test taking facilitation, including adapting tests for and proctoring test taking by, students with disabilities.
- Liaisons with campus and community agencies, including referral and follow up services to these agencies on behalf of students.
- Supplemental specialized orientation to acquaint students with the campus environment.