Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

It is highly advised that you meet with a counselor to ensure that you are receiving the most appropriate information for achieving your educational goals.

Counseling FAQs

How do I schedule an appointment with a counselor?

You can schedule an appointment with a counselor in-person, by phone or online. Click here to schedule an appointment with a counselor.

Am I assigned to a counselor?

No, you are not assigned to a specific counselor. Visit the ELAC Counseling Faculty section for more information related to counselors and their areas of expertise.

How do I get help choosing a major/program plan?

Visit Career & Job Services to access resources such as career assessments which are offered to help you decide on a major that best fits you. Other resources offered to assist students in exploring majors and careers include workshops, one-on-one appointments, access to major information databases, and courses such as Counseling 4 or 40.

What courses should I take for my major/program plan?

For Associate Degrees, please check the ELAC General Catalog for specific courses required for your major.

For transfer to a UC or CSU campus, please refer to for a listing of possible major preparation courses. If interested in transfer to a private/independent or out of state institution visit the Transfer Center.

It is highly advised that you meet with a counselor to ensure that you are receiving the most appropriate information for achieving your educational goals.

What is a Student Education Plan (SEP)?

A Student Education Plan (SEP) is created by you and a counselor and is based on your academic goals. It outlines suggested courses based on major, educational objective, and sequence of courses.

What is an Abbreviated Student Education Plan (ASEP)?

An Abbreviated Student Education Plan (ASEP) is an initial plan that consists of educational planning for your 1st and/or 2nd semesters of courses.

What is a Comprehensive Student Education Plan (CSEP)?

A Comprehensive Student Education Plan (CSEP) is created for a continuing student and consists of educational planning for 3 or more semesters of courses.

How do I register for courses?

You may register for courses and see your enrollment date using the LACCD Student Information System.

For further assistance and helpful video tutorials, please visit the Welcome Center.

Is there a deadline to add or drop courses?

Yes, deadlines to add or drop courses are published in the Academic Calendar and the Schedule of Courses.

What do enrollment requirements such as pre-requisite, co-requisite, and advisory mean?

  1. Prerequisite: a measure of readiness for a class or program that a student is required to meet as a condition of enrolling in a course or a program.
  2. Co-requisite: a requirement that must be satisfied at the time a particular class is taken; usually a co-requisite is concurrent enrollment in another class but may in certain situations be completed at an earlier time.
  3. Advisory: a measure of readiness for a class or program that is recommended for students. Not a requirement.

When is the first day I can begin registering for courses?

Admissions will assign you a specific day and time for registration known as your enrollment appointment. You may register for courses any time after the appointment date.

When should I pay for my courses?

We recommend paying for courses as soon as possible before the semester begins. You may pay at the fiscal office or online using the LACCD Student Information System. Failure to pay will result in placement of a “hold” on your record.

How do I calculate my grade point average (GPA)?

You may calculate your GPA using the steps outlined here. You may also use a GPA Calculator.

How do I check my grades?

You may check your grades using the LACCD Student Information System.

How will a "D", "F", "W", or "NP" affect my academic record?

Grades of "D" or "F" will negatively affect your GPA. Receiving a "W" or "NP" will not be calculated into your GPA. However, a "W" or "NP" does place you at risk of progress probation and/or financial aid disqualification.

What is academic probation?

Academic probation is when a student who has attempted at least 12 semester units earns less than a 2.0 GPA for total cumulative units attempted at ELAC.

What is progress probation?

Progress probation is when a student is enrolled in 12 semester units or more and receives a "W", "I", or "NP" for more than 50% of the courses attempted.

Can I repeat a course I received a “D", "F", "W", or "NP"grade?

After three (3) attempts at a class, with any combination of W, D, F, NC, or NP grades, students will not be able to register for the class again at ELAC or anywhere in the Los Angeles Community College District (LACCD). An earned grade of "C" or higher may not be repeated.

What is Academic Renewal?

Academic Renewal allows you to remove up to 30 units worth of LACCD coursework in which grades of "D" of "F" were received from calculation in the GPA. See the Academic Renewal Petition for more information.

What is a Skill Certificate?

A Skills Certificate is a document confirming that a student has completed a sequence of credit courses, generally 11 units or less, that prepared him or her to progress in a career path. Skills Certificates are not listed on the student's transcripts.

What is a Certificate of Achievement?

A Certificate of Achievement is a program designed for students who are looking for instruction with a high degree of specialization. Certificates of Achievement vary in length and consist of a minimum of 12 or more semester units.

What Degrees are offered at ELAC?

The College offers Associate in Arts (AA), Associate in Science (AS), and Associate Degrees for Transfer (ADT) - Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T), and Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) degrees. Please refer to the College Catalog for State-Approved Associate Degrees and Certificates.

Do I have to get an Associate's Degree to transfer?

No, universities do not require an Associate's Degree to transfer. However, students completing an ADT (AA-T or AS-T) degree receive priority admission to the CSU system. Students should check with the Transfer Center for more details.

What is General Education (GE) requirements?

General Education (GE) is required curriculum that makes up the foundation of an undergraduate degree. The following are GE requirement patterns:

  1. LACCD General Education Requirements (LACCD)
  2. California State University General Education (CSUGE)
  3. Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)