Career Mock Interview Information
What is a mock interview?
A practice interview with a career counselor that will help you prepare for an actual employment interview. The focus of the interview is to practice and articulate your skills/strengths and past experiences. Overall, the mock interview is a safe place for you to practice your interview skills and gain feedback.
Benefits of a mock interview:
- Learn what is expected in a real job interview
- Learn how to improve the way you present yourself and your strengths
- Allows you to reflect on your skill set, experiences/accomplishments, and industry knowledge as it relates to the job you are interested in
- Role play the interview process and gain valuable on-the-spot feedback on all aspects of the interview process
- Gain awareness of verbal and non-verbal cues that could be beneficial or damaging in the interview
- Exposure to common interview questions asked by employers
MOCK INTERVIEW SERVICES AT ELAC’S CAREER AND JOB SERVICES CENTER
Program is Designed to Help You:
- Practice interview skills and develop interview strategies
- Reduce your anxiety/nervousness before the actual interview
- Create a good first impression
- Communicate your skills clearly
- Practice how to answer difficult questions
Preparing for Your Mock Interview:
- Dress professionally
- Bring the sample job description
- Plan to arrive 10-15 minutes early
- Review your resume
- Know your skills, talents, and strengths
- Understand the industry/employer you are interviewing for
- Be prepared for situational questions like, "Tell me about a time that you had a serious disagreement with someone on your team, how did you handle the situation?"
- Best way to receive all the benefits of the mock interview is to treat it like an actual interview!
- Remember to smile