Entrance of the College

Counseling FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

It is highly advised that you meet with a counselor to ensure that you are receiving the most appropriate information for achieving your educational goals.

How do I schedule an appointment with a counselor?

You can schedule an appointment with a counselor in-person, by phone or online. Click here to schedule an appointment with a counselor.

Am I assigned to a counselor?

No, you are not assigned to a specific counselor. Visit the ELAC Counseling Faculty section for more information related to counselors. Counselors are also available to serve students in specific areas. If you are in a special program or wish to access a specialized service, please visit the website of the specific program to access their counseling services.

How do I get help choosing a major/program plan?

Visit Career & Job Services to access resources such as career assessments which are offered to help you decide on a major that best fits you. Other resources offered to assist students in exploring majors and careers include workshops, one-on-one appointments, access to major information databases, and courses such as Counseling 4 or 40.

What courses should I take for my major/program plan?

For Associate Degrees, please check the ELAC General Catalog for specific courses required for your major.

For transfer to a UC or CSU campus, please refer to www.assist.org for a listing of possible major preparation courses. If interested in transfer to a private/independent or out of state institution visit the Transfer Center.

It is highly advised that you meet with a counselor to ensure that you are receiving the most appropriate information for achieving your educational goals.

What is a Student Education Plan (SEP)?

A Student Education Plan (SEP) is created by you and a counselor and is based on your academic goals. It outlines suggested courses based on major, educational objective, and sequence of courses.

What is an Abbreviated Student Education Plan (ASEP)?

An Abbreviated Student Education Plan (ASEP) is an initial plan that consists of educational planning for your 1st and/or 2nd semesters of courses.

What is a Comprehensive Student Education Plan (CSEP)?

A Comprehensive Student Education Plan (CSEP) is created for a continuing student and consists of educational planning for 3 or more semesters of courses.

How do I register for courses?

You may register for courses and see your enrollment date using the LACCD Student Information System.

For further assistance and helpful video tutorials, please visit the Welcome Center.

Is there a deadline to add or drop courses?

Yes, deadlines to add or drop courses are published in the Academic Calendar and the Schedule of Courses.

What do enrollment requirements such as pre-requisite, co-requisite, and advisory mean?

  • Prerequisite: a measure of readiness for a class or program that a student is required to meet as a condition of enrolling in a course or a program.
  • Co-requisite: a requirement that must be satisfied at the time a particular class is taken; usually a co-requisite is concurrent enrollment in another class but may in certain situations be completed at an earlier time.
  • Advisory: a measure of readiness for a class or program that is recommended for students. Not a requirement.

When is the first day I can begin registering for courses?

Admissions will assign you a specific day and time for registration known as your enrollment appointment. You may register for courses any time after the appointment date.

When should I pay for my courses?

We recommend paying for courses as soon as possible before the semester begins. You may pay at the fiscal office or online using the LACCD Student Information System. Failure to pay may result in placement of a “hold” on your record.

How do I calculate my grade point average (GPA)?

Divide the total number of grade points by the total number of GPA units attempted and that gives you your Grade Point Average. You may also use a GPA Calculator.

There are different types of GPA such as a UC transferable GPA, a CSU transferable GPA, and your overall cumulative GPA. Each GPA may be different based on the courses you take.

How do I check my grades?

You may check your grades using the LACCD Student Information System. Download your unofficial transcript from the Academic Records tab in your student portal. Pop up windows must be enabled in your browser.

How will a "D", "F", "W", or "NP" affect my academic record?

Grades of "D" or "F" will negatively affect your GPA. Receiving a "W" or "NP" will not be calculated into your GPA. However, a "W" or "NP" does place you at risk of progress probation and/or financial aid disqualification.

What is academic probation?

Academic probation is when a student who has attempted at least 12 semester units earns less than a 2.0 GPA for total cumulative units attempted at ELAC.

What is progress probation?

Progress probation is when a student is enrolled in 12 semester units or more and receives a "W", "I", or "NP" in 50% or more of all the units attempted.

Can I repeat a course I received a “D", "F", "W", or "NP"grade?

You can attempt a class three (3) times. After three unsuccessful attempts at a class, with any combination of W, D, F, NC, or NP grades, you will not be able to register for the class again at ELAC or in the Los Angeles Community College District (LACCD). An earned grade of "C" or higher may not be repeated. Courses with an "EW" do not count as an attempt.

What is Academic Renewal?

Academic Renewal allows you to petition to remove up to 30 units of LACCD coursework in which grades of "D" of "F" were received from your GPA calculation. See the Academic Renewal Petition and an ELAC counselor for more information on how to qualify.

What is a Skills Certificate?

A Skills Certificate is a document confirming that a student has completed a short term sequence of credit courses, generally 11 units or less. These certificates may develop entry level job skills or upgrade skills to advance in a specific area of occupational education and career paths. Skills Certificates are not listed on your transcript.

What is a Certificate of Achievement?

A Certificate of Achievement is a program designed for students who are looking for instruction with a high degree of specialization. These certificates represent a well-defined pattern of learning experiences designed to develop certain capabilities that are oriented to career or General Education. ELAC's certificates of achievement vary in length but typically consist of 16 or more semester units. Apply for your certificate once all courses are completed with a C or higher. The certificate name will appear on your transcript.

What Degrees are offered at ELAC?

The College offers Associate in Arts (AA), Associate in Science (AS), and Associate Degrees for Transfer (ADT) - Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T), and Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) degrees. Please refer to the ELAC General Catalog for State-Approved Associate Degrees and Certificates.

Do I have to get an Associate's Degree to transfer?

No, most universities do not require an Associate's Degree to transfer, but some may require one depending on your transfer major. Students completing an ADT (AA-T or AS-T) degree by a specified deadline may receive admission advantages, and are guaranteed admission to a university in the CSU system - a process called "redirection." Connect with a counselor and the Transfer Center for more details.

What are General Education (GE) requirements?

General Education (GE) is required curriculum that makes up the foundation of an undergraduate degree. The following are GE requirement patterns:

  • LACCD General Education Requirements (LACCD)
  • California State University General Education (CSUGE)
  • Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)


Counseling appointments can be scheduled online starting Fridays @ 7:30am for the following week. Click the “Counseling Appointments” tab for more information.

Contact Information

Office Hours and Location

Monterey Park Campus:
Express Counseling Services
​Mondays to Thursdays: 9:00AM - 4:30PM
Fridays: 9:00AM - 1:00PM
Saturdays to Sundays: Closed

1301 Avenida Cesar Chavez
Monterey Park, CA 91754
Building E1-127 (Campus Map)


Phone: (323) 265-8751

South Gate Educational Center:
Mondays to Thursdays: 9:00AM - 7:00PM
Fridays: 9:00AM - 4:00PM
Saturdays to Sundays: Closed

2340 Firestone Blvd. South Gate, CA 90280