The secrets of learning a new language | Lýdia Machová (Please find below highlighted tips from this video):
- Start speaking from day one
- Imitate sounds of the target language
- Learn the most frequent words of the target language
- Read about the grammar for the target language
- Find ways to enjoy the language learning process (e.g., if you like to cook, use a recipe written in the target language)
- If you can, find in the target language, a show or movie you've watched several times and know well, watch it in the target language without subtitles
- Talk to yourself in the target language
- Check out Anki or Memrise or use the Goldlist method (Goldlist method explained here and Goldlist method also illustrated here)
- Create at least one daily habit (e.g., listen to a podcast in the target language while eating breakfast)
- Create a method you enjoy that works for you
- Label objects in your home with Post-It notes in the target language (e.g., your TV, bed, dresser, blender, windows, closets, computer, etc.) to reinforce vocabulary and keep your brain thinking in that target language.
- As much as possible, think in the language you are learning.
- Find a pen pal who writes in the language you are learning.
- Find a book that is available in both your native language and your target language. Read the version in your target language and refer to the native version as a guide to study sentence structure, syntax, grammar and diction. While reading both versions, notice the order of the parts of speech in the target language; also pay attention to the similarities between your native language and the target language.
- Use flashcards: Write a phrase or sentence on each card. Review and learn one card per day by using the phrase/sentence throughout the day.
- Find lyrics for songs in the target language. Listen to the song while reading the lyrics. Singing along is a great and fun way to improve fluency.
The Language Lab is now scheduling appointments through Penji. Please watch video below to get started.
Office Hours and Location
Mondays to Thursdays: 9:00AM - 7:00PM
Fridays: 9:30AM - 4:30PM
Saturdays to Sundays: Closed
Language Lab spring 2022 tutoring hours
Monterey Park Campus,