Welcome to the Assessment Center!
Students may visit the Assessment Center (E1-183) to complete an English and/or Math assessment. Please note that a mask is required indoors regardless of vaccination status. Students may also call (323) 415-4141 for assistance and information.
- Live Chat (instant messaging) - Chat with an assessment staff member in real time. Please see our Live Chat instructions for available hours.
- Online Video Meeting - Schedule an online appointment to receive assessment services. A confirmation email (with meeting link) will be sent to your ELAC email.
- Email - Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your name and student ID#. Emails are typically answered within 1 business day.
The East Los Angeles College Assessment Center strives to accurately identify students’ English, Reading and Math skill levels. Carefully selected assessment instruments and multiple measures are utilized to appropriately assess student skill levels and recommend course placement. Proper course placements enable students to successfully progress through required course sequences and to achieve their educational goals.
New English & Math Assessment
ELAC has implemented a new English & Math assessment process known as Multiple Measures. Students who earned a U.S. high school diploma, passed the General Educational Development (GED) test, or earned a high school proficiency certificate within the past ten (10) years, are eligible to participate in the Multiple Measures process.
The Multiple Measures process consists of using high school coursework, high school grades, and high school GPA to determine English and Math placement levels.
New ESL Assessment
ELAC has implemented a new English as a Second Language (ESL) assessment process known as ESL Guided Self-Placement. This new process provides ESL course recommendations by considering a student’s background and abilities with the English language. Students that would like to enroll in ESL courses are invited to participate in this new process.
In response to Assembly Bill (AB) 705, East Los Angeles College has moved away from standardized testing as the primary means of assessing students. Please note:
- As of January 2019, the English & Math assessment tests are no longer offered at East Los Angeles College.
- As of January 2020, the English as a Second Language (ESL) assessment test is no longer offered at East Los Angeles College.
For more information, please call (323) 415-4141 or visit the Assessment Center (E1-183).
Office is now open!
Can't stop by? Connect through
or email: email@example.com
The Assessment Center will be closed on:
Monday, July 4, 2022
Office Hours and Location
Mondays to Thursdays: 9:00AM - 4:00PM
Fridays: 9:00AM - 12:00PM
Closed for Lunch: 12:00PM - 1:00PM
Saturdays to Sundays: Closed
Student Service Building
Phone: (323) 415-4141